Saturday, September 19, 2009

Trinidadian English - Part 1

As I have mentioned previously, my housemates are from Trinidad and Tobago. Their Trinidadian accent is quite interesting. It sounds kind of Jamaican, but less accented. I would say it is a mix of Jamaican and British English. Their vocabulary is different too, and sometimes I just don't understand what they are saying. But they are nice, and they teach me new words all the time.

New word learned: LIME
Canadian Equivalent: HANG OUT

In Canadian English, we say, "let's hang out at the mall"
In Trinidadian English, they say, "let's lime at the mall"

What's even more interesting is that I find myself using Trinidadian terms whenever I talk to them. And sometimes, I even catch myself saying words with a Trinidadian accent. Words such as four, beer, twenty.....


Question: is it possible for me to acquire a Trinidadian accent??

3 comments:

:: k e l l y :: said...

the real question is why you're saying 'four' 'beer' and 'twenty'? :p

Anonymous said...

twenty four beer? O___O prisCILLA! what have YOUUUU been doing that you're not telling us?! huh?! huh?!

i think it would be super awesome if you came back with a trini accent. please infect me also :D

ml said...

AHAHAHAHAHA

same thing happened to me when i was in london. except that, it annoyed everyone and they made me stop lol