So, today I went to my first class - Theory and Research for Second Language Aquisition. For those who don't know, I am doing a MA in Applied Linguistics, specializing in TESL. I met more people today, many who are international students whom do not have any TA responsibilities. It was really nice to see a couple of people from China and Taiwan, so I felt more homelike. The class was supersuper long, considering it was a straight 3 hour class. The prof was really nice and I know that he will help me out alot this term. One thing that really confuses me is the method of learning in this university. Brock University is all about seminars, not just simply presenting your information/research, but it is about leading discussions and making others engage in the activities. Whereas at McMaster, everything was based on PBL. They give you a problem and you make an attempt at finding an answer, and then you present your findings. Although the two methods of learning are relatively the same, the words "seminar presentations" still really freak me out because I don't really understand what it is.
All my MA courses are really heavy. From just reading the course evaluation, I won't have much time to do anything else but write. I am feeling alot better now that I've talked to most of my classmates and they are also feeling quite overwhelmed by the workload. So I am not alone, not that I was ever alone because I have Jesus Christ within me. We are all under the same boat. The problem for me right now is to be able to think and critically analyze problems in a short amount of time. I am one of those people who need many many hours to research, write, correct a paper.
Please pray for intelligence, wisdom, social skills and time management.
No comments:
Post a Comment