Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Jay Chou Concert

A couple days ago, I went to the Jay Chou concert. It was le awesome!

The day started off with me meeting ivan at korean town (christie/bloor). It was great going there again, window shopping and showing my friend the delicacies of Korea. Lunch was awesome as always as it lasted us the entire night. After lunch, we proceeded to walking up and down the street and checked out more things and then slowly walked to spadina to visit our real home country. Yes, chinatown. I have always been skeptical about that area cuz it is just soooo dirty and I dont like old men yelling out stuff like 'come and see, three for a dollar' in Chinese. haha. I was very careful with rats too....you never know, rats could just jump out from anywhere. There was nuthing to see at chinatown so we just walked into random chinese malls and checked out asian stuff. Honestly, I am kinda scared of chinese people; it must be the cultural difference. I am korean and they are not. hehe joking =P Since we had SO much time to kill before the concert, we decided to walk to eaton centre. We sure saved a lot of ttc money but man, our legs felt like coming off when we got to the mall. When we got there, I immediately went to the swarvoski (sp?) tree cuz I have never seen it live. It was really beautiful. =) Ivan and I practically walked around the entire mall but we still had 4 hours to kill. What to do? So we just started calling our friends and see where they were. Luckily, ivan's friend and his friend's friends were also shopping before going to the concert, so we met up with them. We were all soo bored and didn't know what to do. So we decided to walk the 'PATH' or that underground thing at eaton centre to get to front street for the concert. It was great exploring the path cuz it was my second time going to eaton centre. It literally took us about an hour to get to ACC after getting lost underground. We arrived at ACC at 6:30pm and stood at the entrance until the doors opened.

Since I was one of the first people, I got a Jay Chou poster, pamphlet and glowsticks. Nuthing special. The poster is all wrinkled now. haha.

The show was really good but I can't say 'it was the best concert I've ever been to' cuz it was my first concert so I can't compare. The lights were wicked, the scenes were amazing and Jay Chou was awesome. I was really surprised that he didn't go off tune cuz it is very easy for singers to off key when they sing live. Jay Chou is one good singer. He also played alot of instruments too - from piano to drums to guitar to chinese harp. He is really talented. I mean, he doesn't just sing and play instruments but he can also compose and add in the lyrics. How many people can do that? not a lot.

There were a bunch of English speaking asian girls that sat behind us. Throughout the concert, they kept yelling and screaming out stupid things like "I want to have your babies, Jay Chou", "omg! we're breathing the same air as Jay Chou", "I am falling in love with you", "I love you, Jay Chou", "omg! he's so HOT!"...etc. I really found the first two statements very funny and stupid. Their screams definitely gave me and ivan a heart attack, but then again, that's how concerts are like I guess.

I couldn't stop replaying the entire concert on my way home. There were a lot of things that made me feel very uneasy as some things were very unGodly. Firstly, while Jay Chou was changing and setting up for the next scene, his dancers came out and started lap dancing with the audience. Male audience. I felt very uneasy about that. Secondly, some people were idolizing Jay. It seems as though they like the person more than his music. Of course alot of people would be screaming for Jay Chou cuz we like his music and want to see more of him, but not to the point where Girls (and boys) would scream on top of their lungs and yell out things like "I want to have your babies" and "we're breathing the same air as Jay Chou". I screamed because I REALLY appreciate his music! While 10,000 people were screaming for Jay, I thought to myself, man, wouldn't it be awesome if these people screamed like that to God?

Honestly, who wouldn't like Jay Chou, he's talented, he can play basketball, down-to-earth, listens to his mom, it is practically every girl's dream to find a guy like that. And I dont blame girls (and guys) for screaming but he's just like all of us. He is just a regular human being. In God's eyes, he is a sinner just like all of us. Yes, he may be talented but he never once thank the Lord for his musical abilities. All he did was thank his mother for pushing him to practice the piano when he was little. There is no need for us to say things like that. This is all temporary.

This concert has really opened my eyes to see how much people idolize superstars in this world. Wouldn't it be nice if we could spread the Word to Jay? What would the asian market look like when he becomes a Christian? hmmmm

Anyway, after the concert, my eyes and face got really red. I dont know what happened. I dont know what I am allergic to. Perhaps asian people? there were 10,000+ppl at the ACC. My mom thinks I am allergic to Jay Chou and she said I wasted money.

photo courtesy of ivan

photo courtesy of ivan

photo courtesy of ivan


photo courtesy of ivan

2 comments:

cluk said...

Ya I was a little bit disappointed actually. It was more like a random talent show than a concert.

Are you going to the rick hansen party priscilla?

eleasa said...

not bad for your first concert experience though!

i like your thoughts on superstars being idolized. it's horribly sad that we place sinful, greedy, selfish people on such high pedestals because they're celebrities. when you have an eternal perspective, superstardom seems so trivial.

edison chen has heard the Gospel & repented & believed, apparently. who's gonna share with jay chou too?