Today I was reminded of what happened x years ago.
I remember one day complaining about being the oldest of the two children, how there were just so much more responsibilities compared to my brother, how I had to be the first one doing things, whether it be the first one entering school or the first one doing chores. Why couldn't I just be the little one and have everyone else take care of me? I complained about how it wasn't fair that I had to learn everything on my own in grade school but had to help out my brother when he didn't understand something. Who helped me with projects when I was at that age? NO ONE. Who taught me how to study? NO ONE. I was selfish. I calculated everything (literally!) and made sure things were fair between my brother and I. However, my dad rebuked me right away (which I am very thankful for now that I am older) after my numerous complaints and dissatisfaction. He said, it is a blessing to be the firstborn. Firstborns get extra blessings from the Lord. Just look at Esau and Jacob (Genesis 25)! Esau had the birthright, but did not care about the blessings of the Lord and traded it for a pot of stew. In the end, Jacob took over the birthright and was able to "rule" over his older twin brother.
The bible is so real and what the Lord said is so true. Most of my friends are firstborns and I can see that they are smarter, more successful and have more blessings bestowed upon them than their younger siblings. Not saying that the younger ones are not blessed, but it appears that they have to work extra hard to achieve something. God gave firstborns the ability to deal with all the extra responsibilities. He gave them the ability to deal with situations on their own and the extra intelligence that the youngins don't have. Though of course, sometimes it appear that some firstborns are "less intelligent" than their younger siblings, firstborns are still more blessed.
May I never forget that being a firstborn is a blessing. May I forever be grateful for having the ability to handle all responsibilities. May I be reminded each time I help out a youngin that I am using what the Lord has given me.
Note: only child considers as firstborn.
3 comments:
Interesting post ...though I obviously don't have any experience regarding the topic.
Sometimes I wish I had siblings :) being an only child is not quite as fun xP haha.
"...are smarter, more successful and have more blessings bestowed upon them than their younger siblings"
Aw shucks,
that is such a perfect description of me. :P
yes! we do have to work extra harder!!
Post a Comment