Sunday, November 1, 2009

To use or not to use:

So I have to write another research paper, which means I will need to find articles to support my thesis. My topic for this oral/aural class is FLUENCY. Coincidentally, my prof has been really interested in this topic, specifically on the effect of L1 fluency on L2 fluency. He has published many articles about fluency.... so my question is, should I use any of his articles? I have been looking at both the Pros and Cons of this:

Pro:
- the prof knows that I have the guts to use his papers
- I really want him to be my supervisor for my thesis next year, so I guess this will impress him?


Con:
- If I make a mistake or analyse his papers incorrectly or I criticize his papers badly, this will be the end of me!!! btw, I HAVE to critically analyse... it is part of the assignment.


So dear friends, WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DO IT. You need to show that you have read his research, have thought about his research, and understand what he's doing. Obviously there will be some weaker areas or areas which can be looked into further.

It will be harder, because I know you will spend extra time trying to understand his meanings and to find the right things to critique. But it is worth it!

You need to show that you're interested and know what he's doing! Make sure that you have reasonable support behind your critiques and comments, and you will be fine.

Citing is the academic form of flattery ;)

Add oil! :)