Wednesday, July 25, 2012

May all your wishes and dreams come true

If you were to ask any one of my friends what my dreams are, they'd probably say that it is my intense desire to go to Korea. Ever since a family friend introduced korean dramas to me and another friend leaving Canada to teach English there, I've become quite fascinated by it. I love everything about the country - from its roots to their cuisine to their people. I've even longed to teach English in Korea some day; in fact, I think I've been praying about this matter for 10 years now.

For the past 10 years, I have dreamt about what my life would be like when I actually teach in Korea: what type of apartment I want to live, the school that I want to teach at, the people that I will be hanging out with, the foods that I will eat, the things that I am going to do. I practically got my Korean life all planned out, but how come I am not there?!?!?!

The thing is, every time I plan on going to Korea something happens. My initial plan was to go there to teach ESL upon my undergrad graduation. But nope, that plan failed because I got accepted into both B.Ed schools and Masters program and I decided to do my Masters. Yes I know that I could have rejected both offers and just followed my dreams and leave the country, but education is SUPER important to me and I know it isn't everyday that I can pursue a masters. Once it is gone, it is gone. My second plan was to teach ESL after grad school (it was only a 12 month program after all), but the Lord strongly told me to not apply for the teaching ESL position that year. It was weird to a point where I felt really nervous/scared about applying. At that time, I also found out that I was not really qualified to teach (that is, if I wanted to save money or make enough to bring home). My previous ESL certificate was not recognizable because it was not from an accredited school. I also did not apply to teacher's college that year so basically I had no job. Surprisingly, a family friend started a business and asked me to help test it out for her and that's what I did for 6 months while I had NO direction in life. During this working experience, I somehow decided to get a TESL ONTARIO license and luckily found a program that only took 4 months to complete, and so my next plan was to enroll in the program and leave for Korea right after. That plan somehow failed as well because now that I have a license I need to think about my future AFTER going to korea. Part of me just wanted to get all my education done before I leave and so I decided to apply for teacher's college again hoping to get a B.ed so that when I come back from Korea after 2 years I could be ready to teach in public school boards. Naturally, my next plan was that if I didn't get into any of the schools, I would just go straight to Korea; but then again, the Lord has been gracious to me and I got into OISE. Yes I am happy that I got in, but at the same time sad that I have to continue to put my desire for Korea on hold. What's even more interesting was that I was given an opportunity to go to Korea in late August of this year to do a quiz on Korean TV, but that required me to do an online quiz for qualifications. I had my hopes up for this because even if I was not teaching ESL there I could at least go for vacation! But nope, when the date arrived I realized that I had planned a Montreal meeting with my friends on that very day at that particular time. At that moment I became completely disappointed and mad at myself for forgetting and I didn't have the courage to cancel the meeting because I was afraid my friends would hate me for it. So that plan completely backfired.

It sucks to play the waiting game. I have been playing it for 10 years and sometimes I just get so angry for not being able to go. I constantly question the Lord why there's always something preventing me from going and why He doesn't let me go. I've obeyed Him to not apply and I just get so fed up by it. I JUST WANNA TEACH IN KOREA!!!!! 


So my plan right now is to go in September 2013 - after getting my B.ed. In the meantime, I am just going to continue waiting and praying...*sigh* 

How many more years do I still need to wait in order to fulfill this life-long dream?!


No comments: