Thursday, August 5, 2010

Happy Times - Prelude

One of the things I love about life is spending time with people; whether it be with family or friends, I just looove spending quality time with them. I try to cherish every moment of it cuz I never know when it is gonna happen again. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why I love linguistics, the fact that language and communication is so crucial to our lives just amazes me. Over the years I've come to realize that I can't live without friends, family or just someone to there to listen/talk to. Yaa... God's always there and He promised to never leave me, but everyone needs a physical being for support. The bible says it so clearly in Genesis: God created Adam and various animals, but they couldn't communicate/understand each other and so God created Eve to accompany Adam. We have this innate ability to learn and communicate with others (Sidebar: Don't know if the SS kids are learning anything, but I am actually learning a lot when I prepare lessons! )

However, one of the weaknesses that I have is that I get too dependent/attached to people... that I get really depressed when they leave or when I don't get to see them anymore. It doesn't matter if I've known for 10 days or 10 years, I would still be sad if I know that I wouldn't be able to see them on a regular basis. Yes I eventually forget about them and life moves on, but still, it is the interaction between people that I miss. When 80% of my friends from church left a couple months ago, I was REALLY sad by it...

Every girl likes presents, but I'd rather trade material things for time. When Zoe decided to surprise me on my birthday this year, I felt extremely loved because they actually didn't mind wasting time on me. I mean, Who am I? I am nobody. I am not a popular person in the church and I am not anyone special. But they still wanted to spend time with me because they treat me like a sister no matter the circumstances. It certainly made me feel extremely touched that day.

Everyone has a story to tell; and it is only when we sit down and listen to them that we can find out what is happening in their lives. It is funny how God planned all this, I mean, with people leaving the church, I actually had the chance to talk to some people whom I was quite intimidated by. Yes, I had to get out of my comfort zone, open up myself (if you know me, this is actually VERY hard for me to do!) and tried to get to know them...but it is really the only way to get to know others and make new friends.

So I guess it is not a bad thing that a lot of my friends left, because it really forced me (in a good way) to get to know other people; some whom I've gotten really close with in the past couple of months.










No comments: