Monday, February 23, 2009

Reading Week 2009

I guess my (last) reading week was quite eventful. I planned to use the week for school and God. I wanted to spend a lot of time with God through fervent prayers, bible reading and just really prepare myself spiritually for the last 6 weeks of school. Praying hard for God's guidance to finish strong even though I have been quite discouraged by my marks lately. Although I didn't get to do any fun activities (even my msn was busted!!!), my reading week was very fulfilling.

I spent a total of 20 hours in the library this week...which wasn't too much. But thank God I had maro with me to keep me company. I also spent alot of time with my parents and keeping them company.

I went to encounter night @ Westside on friday. I had been praying about this night for the entire week and wondering whether I should go. I have never been to a westside 'encounter night' before but alot of my hccf friends have told me in the past that it was a great night of encountering God--whatever that meant in their own way. I thought it might be like a Praise Night kinda thing but it was nothing like it. Marilyn came with me that night and I am ever glad that she went. As a new Christian, I believe it made her know God more, which is awesome! When we arrived, it was kinda awkward cuz we were directed to this room where there were no chairs. Apparently, we were supposed to sit on the floor. The night started off with a set of songs, followed by a message by a speaker.

The night proceeded with prayers. Everyone, whether young or old, was praying sooo intensely. I took a break from praying and saw people lying on the floor praying, standing up praying, sitting down praying. There was this elderly woman who looked around 90 yrs old, was jumping up and down, praying. People were praying for healing, for power, for strength, for wisdom and for anything else. It was also my first time hearing someone "speaking in tongues". I have never heard the "tongue language" before but I automatically knew when the speaker started praying. The funny thing is, I have always wondered what "speaking in tongues" sounded like, and I am glad I was able to hear it. I really can't describe it but it does not sound foreign at all. It doesn't even sound like a language. It sounded like an animal talking? The speaker was praying outloud in English and then all of a sudden, he started rolling his tongue really quickly? The sound was very high pitched and there was a lot of throat sounds (glottal stops). And then all of a sudden, he goes back to praying in English.

I have always been quite fascinated by this "speaking in tongues" phenomenon, so I decided to check it out. Despite how fascinating wikipedia is, it is very unreliable. Can someone explain this whole "speaking in tongues" phenomenon to me? Does it happen when you're most in-depth in faith? does it occur when the Holy Spirit is speaking through you? How come I can't speak in tongues? Am I conscious when I am speaking in tongues?

hmmmm.......

1 comment:

ml said...

o really? u never heard it before?